Ingredients for the Meatballs
500gms lean ground beef
2 small – medium onions caramelized
8 egg whites
2 Tbs granulated garlic
salt and pepper to taste
Ingredients for the marinara sauce
2 cans low sodium Tomato Sauce
2 cans Diced tomato
1 Tbs crushed red chili flake
1 tsp granulated garlic
(optional )1 ¼ tbs italian seasoning
1 bay leaf
- In a large mixing bowl, combine onions, garlic and egg whites with ½ tsp salt and pepper mix well.
- Add in beef and mix until all ingredients are combined. Do not over mix as it will toughen the meat.
- Roll meatballs portion 2 tbs per ball
- In a large heavy bottom pan, sear meatballs making sure to brown on all sides and fully cooked (6-10 minutes
- In a large pot combine all ingredients and bring slowly to simmer and season.
- Simmer on low with lid for 15 min and adjust seasoning if needed.
- Serve warm.
You can freeze meatballs by themselves or with the sauce. We like to place ours on a sheet pan and freeze them individually.